Pav means bun. And the term Bhaji is used for is used for vegetables or a vegetable based dish.
As both the bhaji (vegetable gravy) and pav are served together, that’s why the name ‘Pav bhaji’ This is the very famous fast food in Indian state Mumbai.
This dish was originated in Mumbai as a quick lunch option for workers. Gradually this dish becomes so popular that now it is served as street food as well as in restaurants in Mumbai and the rest of India.
You will get easily this item on almost every street-side stalls and restaurants, even in the 5-star hotel Taj.
This delicious dish is made of a spicy mix vegetables mash like cauliflower, capsicum, peas, beans, onion, mashed potato, tomatoes cooked in butter and different kind of spices, for flavors and served with noble amount of butter topped, chopped onions, lemon juice and butter-soaked buns(pav).
So, if you are looking for the pav bhaji making recipe, then here is the easiest and quickest recipe of making pav bhaji at home. Let’s begin
vegetables in Pav Bhaji
- The vegetables that are usually added are cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, peas, capsicum and beans.
- That one gets in the streets of Mumbai, they usually do not added carrots. It may be costly for them. But when you make at home, you can add carrots.
- You can add capsicum as it gives a really good taste in pav bhaji.
Types of Pav Bhaji: -
There are various kind of pav/pao bhaji: –
- Paneer pao bhaji: – Here the bhaji is topped with grated paneer.
- Cheese pao bhaji: – In this dish grated cheese is sprinkled on pav bhaji.
- No onion no garlic pao bhaji: – This is made for the people who don’t want to eat onion and garlic. this is also called satvik pav bhaji.
- Jain pao bhaji: – This dish is made without onions for, garlic and potatoes. This is mainly for jain people.
- Kala pao bhaji: – This dish is made with kala masala or goda masala. This dish is also called black pav bhaji.
- Kolhapuri pao bhaji: – This dish is little spicy and made with the fiery Kolhapuri masala style.
- Khada pao bhaji: – In this dish vegetables are not mashed but kept whole in the pav bhaji.
- Mushroom pao bhaji: – In this dish mushrooms are added in the bhaji.
- Punjabi pao bhaji: – this dish is made with more spices and more butter.
- Pressure cooker pao bhaji: – This is thew quickest version and made in a pressure cooker.
- Preparing Time: 15 mins
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
Ingredients For Homemade Pav Bhaji Masala
- Coriander seeds 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 2 tbsp
- Dried red chilies 5
- 8 cloves
- Fennel seeds 1 tablespoon
- Black cardamom 3
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- Turmeric powder 2 tablespoon
- Ground black pepper 2 tablespoon
- Amchur powder 2 tablespoon
- Ground ginger ½ tablespoon
- Black salt 2 tablespoon
Ingredients For Bhaji
- 2 large boiled potatoes
- 1/2 head of a small boiled cauliflower
- Frozen boiled green peas 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- 2 medium finely chopped red onion
- Finely chopped ginger 2 inch
- Finely chopped garlic 7 cloves
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- 3 large finely chopped tomatoes
- Store bought tomato puree 1/3 cup
- Salt to taste
- water as needed
- Pav bhaji masala to taste
- Red chili powder 1/2 teaspoon
- kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) 2 teaspoons
- Chopped coriander 3 tablespoons
- Juice of 1 large lemon
Ingredients For Pav
- 12-14 pav
- Butter (to toast the pav)
- Pav bhaji masala, to sprinkle
Making of Bhaji: –
- At first use pressure cooker to boil the veggies until they becomes soft and keep them ready.
- Now heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot on medium heat. After sometime when the butter melts and oil is hot, add the cumin seeds.
- Then add the chopped onions and mix. (You can use food processor to chop them really fine, if you have)
- Cook the onions and let them little golden brown in color. It should not less than 4 minutes.
- After this add the finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chili. Cook the ginger-garlic-green chili for around 1 minute.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and mix it well. Let the tomatoes cook for around 2 minutes.
- Now add store bought tomato puree, water as needed and salt to taste. After this cover the pan and let the tomato softened and completely cooked. It should not less than 6 minutes.
- Now add the pav bhaji masala, red chili powder and salt. You may also add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar here (If you want).
- Now Mix it well and then add 2 teaspoons of kasuri methi.
- Stir in the boiled veggies and mix. Using a potato masher, or by the back side of spoon mash the veggies. Try to mix them completely until they are mixed with the masala.
- Then add the 1 cup water and mix. If you want you can use blender to blend the veggies to a paste like consistency (This is not mandatory, if you want). You can also keep them as such, if you want.
- Now cover the pot and keep it in low Flame. Let the bhaji simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- After sometime open the pot and add in 2 tablespoons of butter and add a good amount of chopped coriander.
- Then after completing the above steps at last add in juice of 1 large lemon.
- Now let the bhaji simmer for 2 more minutes and then remove pan from heat.
Now toast the pav: –
- At first take butter on a pan on medium heat. Let it melt, after melting Sprinkle little pav bhaji masala on top of the butter and then place the buns on the pan
- Little press it, let it to be golden from both side
- The bhaji which is vegetable gravy is served with pav. While serving cubes of butter are also topped on the hot steaming bhaji.
- To garnish a few coriander leaves, chopped onions and lemon wedges are served with it. The lemon juice has to be drizzled on it and then mixed and eaten with the pav.