Tamarind chutney / Imli ki chatni / Imli Chutney / Meethi chutney refers to a popular Indian sweet and sour condiment widely used in Making chaats. It is also served with the famouse Indian snacks like Samosas. This chutney is perfect mixture of sweet and tangy flavor. And it is absolutely delicious.
As India has a lot of variety in chaat, thus with Indians need this chutney a lot, as without this chutney people will got get perfect balance of sweet and tangy flavor and the chaat will incomplete.
As by it’s name you can understand that it is made with sweet and tangy tamarind along with salt, Jaggery (palm-sugar) and different spices powder.
This tamarind chutney is very good for health as it has very good nutritional value. Once you make it, you can keep it in a jar and refrigerate for two or three months. When you want to make chaats or if you want to serve it with any snacks, then dilute the consistency by adding little water.
Some people make this chutney by adding dates along with tamarind, salt, jaggery (palm sugar) and different spice powders. But the addition of dates is not compulsory, it is optional. If you use it you will get a very good flavor.
If you want to store it for long time then make the chutney little thick and store it in a bottle. It will helpful.
Specially of Tamarind Chutney
This Tamarind jaggery Chutney is Vegan, Gluten Free, Super Easy to make, Sweet, Sour, Spicy and Tangy Can be refrigerated for a long time.
Purpose of making
- Now a days, one can easily get ready-made imli ki chatni as many brands are available in the market.The chutneys you will get in market, is very costly. So, there will be economical problem for you. Instead of purchasing ready-made chutney from market, make it at home. It will be healthier and economically affordable for you.
- Some other problems are like in these ready-made imli chutney they use sugar in huge amount. So, if you use these chutney regular basis, it will be harmful for your health (specially for sugar patients). Also you may not be so sure about the quality of the ingredients that used in the chutney.
- Once you will make it, then you can refrigerate it and use whenever you want.
Always be careful of using ingredients. Check well the ingredients you are using, whether they are from any reliable source or not. The ingredient should not adulterated.
- Preparing Time: 10 m
- Cooking Time: 30 m
- Total Time:40 m
Ingredients for Tamarind Chutney
- Ghee 1/2 ghee
- Hing 1/6 teaspoon
- Roasted jeera powder (Cumin powder) 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted saunf powder ( roasted fennel seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt as needed or 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam masala 1/4 teaspoon
- Water as needed or 2 cups
- Jaggery 1/2 cups
- Tamarind or imli 1/2 cup
- Dates 1/2 cup (optional)
- Red chili powder 1 teaspoon.
Process of making Tamarind Chutney
- At first heat the ghee in a pan over medium heat, and then add the hing, then add water immediately.
- Meanwhile clean and deseed the tamarinds and dates(dates are optional item). Add both in that pan along with water. As dates are optional item, then use of it coplete depends upon you. If you are not using dates then use less water. Then add grated jaggery.
- Now let it boil for sometimes and wait for the mixture to become completely soft, pulpy.
- Sometimes it happens that the quality of tamarind and dates are harder, at that time, the mixture needs more water to be boil and completely soften. So, if you feel that the mixture needs more water, then add little extra water.
- Then add salt according to your taste and all spice powders and mix it well. Cook it for 5 minutes. It will help the flavor to come.
- Then transfer it into a bowl and let it cool. Then boil little water and add little water along with the mixture in a blender jar. Blend it well to get a smooth mixture.
- Then place a sieve over a large bowl and the outcome after blending well. Use a strong ladle to make it pass through the sieve. Do not use your hand.
- Then add ginger powder into it and mix it well. And check whether the salt is needed or it is okay.
- Your sweet &tangy tamarind chutney/Imli ki chatni/Imli chutney is ready.
Storing the Tamarind Chutney
In a moist free, clean glass jar transfer the chutney. Then cover it and refrigerate. It will remain good till 2-3 months.
This Tamarind Chutney is always enjoyable with different chaats like bhel puri, pani puri, aloo chaat, papari chaat, dahi vada, sev puri and so on. Or many people like it enjoy this Imli chutney with Indian snacks like Samosas.
- Energy:36 cal
- Protein:0.1 g
- Carbohydrates:8.7 g
- Fiber:0.8 g
- Fat:0 g
- Cholesterol:0 mg