Batata Vada is always enjoyable, specially in monsoon time, Bata Vada with spicy coriander chutney during cool breeze is always pleasant. It is actually a street food of Mumbai and easily available in every chaat stall of Mumbai. It plays key role in Vada Pav.
Batata vada Is one of the popular Mumbai street foods. In Mumbai local language ‘potatoes’ are called as ‘batata’ and ‘vada’ means a ‘fried snack. That’s of what it name stands for. In south India, in south India this item is knows as potato bonda.
So, here is the easiest recipe of making Batata Vada at home step by step in just 30 minute and enjoy the monsoon.
Many people thinks that there is only one kind of bata vadas but they are wrong. Though it is Maharastra’s local item but there are a lot of variations. It actually happens due to potato stuffing is made and inclusion of different spices in the potato filling. In Maharashtra the taste of this food item different in different regions like Pune, nashik, kolhapur etc. Even in Mumbai itself it tastes different in the different vendors cart. Whatever but batata vadas are best enjoyed when they are served hot.
- Preparing Time:10 minutes
- Cooking Time:20 minutes
- Total Time:30 minutes
Ingredients For Preparing Bata Vada
- Potatoes (boiled)-3
- Mustard Seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Green Chillies(chopped )-2
- Ginger(chopped)-piece of 1/2 inch
- Garlic (chopped)-2 cloves
- Curry Leaves(finely chopped)-3-4
- Coriander Leaves(finely chopped)-1/3 cup
- Turmeric Powder-1/4 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice(1 teaspoon )
- Dry Mango Powder-1/2 teaspoon
- Gram Flour (besan/ chickpea flour/ chana flour)-1/2 cup
- Water-1/3 cup
- A pinch of Baking Soda (soda bi carbonate)
- 2 teaspoons Oil(for deep frying)
- Salt to taste
- For making batata vada at first make a paste of green chili, ginger and garlic using mixer grinder.
- Peel the boiled potatoes and mash them well with the help of backside of a large spoon.
- Now heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small pan over medium flame.
- Then add mustard seeds.
- When they start to crackle, then add asafoetida, curry leaves and a paste of green chilli, ginger, garlic.
- Stir and cook for a minute.
- Now add turmeric powder and mix well.
- After this turn off the flame and transfer the prepared tempering over mashed potatoes and add chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice and salt.
- Mix well and taste for the lemon juice and salt.
- Divide it into 8-10 equal portions. (If mixture turns sticky, grease your hands with oil and make round shaped balls from it)
- At first take gram flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Then little by little add water (approx. 1/3 cup), stir continuously and make a smooth batter. Consistency of the batter should be slightly thin.
- (N.B.-If the batter is too thin then add 1-2 teaspoons gram flour and if it is too thick then add little water and mix well.)
- Amd then heat oil in a pan over medium flame for deep-frying.
- When oil is medium hot, dip each potato ball into that batter and coat it evenly with hand and drop it into the hot oil.
- Drop 4-5 balls in a single batch and deep-fry.
- When it will become light golden brown, then drain excess oil using perforated spoon and transfer them over a tissue paper on a plate.
- Deep-fry remaining balls same way.
- You can take deseeded fried green chilies with it if you want.
- Your Batata Vada is now ready to serve. Serve with green chutney / tomato ketch up.
- It will taste like Crispy from outside and soft and spicy from inside
Usually Batata vadas are served with some fried salted green chilies. This is little spicy combination and it will be loved by the spicy food lovers.
Batata vadas can also served with some coriander mint chutney or even tomato ketchup. When these Potato vadas stuffed between buns or bread rolls (pav) or bread and had with some onion or tomato slices or with a combination of Indian chutneys then it is called Vada Pav.
Keep in mind
- The batter should not too thick. If the batter is too thick then the vadas will be too hard.
- Also the batter should not too thin. If the batter is too thin then at the time of frying the potato stuffing will come out.
- So, make the consistency proper