Aloo Gobi/Gobi ki sabji reffers to a Indian delicious recipe.
India has countless vegetarian recipes that we grew up eating. We eat simple curries, rice and veggies everyday and most of all are vegan.
Aloo gobi is a very popular Indian dish. This dish is made by cooking potatoes and cauliflower with tomatoes, onions and different spices.
This Aloo Gobi is packed with flavors and it is the perfect mixture Spiced Potatoes and Cauliflower.
Depending on your choice, you can make this dish with only onions or only tomatoes or use no onion-tomato at all. Sometimes all ingredients might be not present in your kitchen. So, try to make with what you have. But Aloo (Potatoes) and Gobi (Cauliflower) is must be in your kitchen.
You can make it dry or little gravy, depends upon you. If you make dry, it will be helpful for you to take school or office in lunch box.
In this recipe I am going to use onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and obviously spices!
And also I will try my best to make it simple and best Aloo gobi you will ever have!
One common problem most of the people face during this dish, when people cook it, the cauliflower becomes soggy and people don’t want that because that kind of spoils the taste and texture of this dish.
So, if you do not want your cauliflower to become soggy, then follow these steps.
- Before adding potatoes and cauliflower to the onion-tomato masala, half cook the cauliflower and potatoes(By boiling the potatoes and cauliflower or by frying potatoes and cauliflower in little oil till they are half cooked). I prefer frying.
- Cook on low flame only. Don’t cover and cook the cauliflower.
- Adding salt instantly on potatoes will prevent potatoes from cooking well. So, add salt when potatoes are almost done.
- Preparing Time:10 m
- Cooking Time:20 m
- Total Time:30 m
Ingredients For Preparing Aloo Gobi
- Vegetable oil, 3-4 tablespoons
- Cumin seed 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- Ginger-garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 2 teaspoons
- turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder to taste
- Garam masala 1/2 teaspoon
- Amchur powder (dry mango powder)1/2
- 2 tomatoes chopped(medium)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced or cubed
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- salt to taste 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice 2 teaspoons
- Chopped coriander leaves(cilantro)
Process of making Aloo Gobi
- At first, heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a pan on medium heat. Then add cauliflower florets. After frying for 2-3 minutes, add the sliced potatoes. And fry them on medium-low flame for 8-10 minutes. Let potatoes and cauliflower little brown.
- After frying when potatoes and cauliflower will have brown spots on it, then drain them on a tissue paper and set it aside
- Now heat 2 teaspoon of oil on that pan and set it on medium flame. Then add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- After this add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Let the onions golden brown. When the onions will be golden brown, then add the ginger-garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes. Let the raw smell go away.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Let them little soft.
- Now add the masalas. Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and amchur powder (dried mango powder). After adding the masalas, cover the pan for 2-3 minutes. It will help the masalas cook well.
- After 2-3 minutes open the cover and add the potatoes and cauliflower. Mix it well.
- Add little coriander leaves(cilantro) and give it a good mix.
- Now add garam masala and cook it on medium-low heat for 5 minute.
- Now add salt and cover the pan. Let it cook for 5 minutes on low flame. Remember, the potato and cauliflower must be tender but not soggy.
- Sometimes it may happen that, you might feel the masala is sticking, in case of that, you may add little more water. And if you add water, then add 1 tablespoon salt also.
- Your aloo gobi is ready. Garnish with some more coriander leaves(cilantro)
After cooking perfectly you can serve it with plain rice or parathas or roti (tortilla) and enjoy this India spicy aloo gobi recipe. I hope you will like it and it will be best aloo gobi you will ever have.
This aloo gobi is specially liked by people who take lunchbox in office or school from home.
- Never make this recipe with deep-fried potatoes, cauliflowers. If it will be deep fried, then it will contain high calories and it will be harmful for you. Many people make this dish regularly. So, for them deep-frying is not good at all.
- Before taking out from pan to a bowl or dish, don’t forget to check the spices and salt. And adjust if something is less or high and give a good mixture.
- Try to add enough chopped coriander leaves(cilantro). It will be helpful for gaining more flavors.
- Energy:208 cal
- Protein:3 g
- Carbohydrates:23.7 g
- Fiber:3.7 g
- Fat:113 g
- Cholesterol:0 mg